NAMM FOUNDATION FACT SHEET
The NAMM Foundation, a non-profit supported in part by the National Association of Music Merchants and it's nearly 9000 members around the world, with the mission of advancing active participation in music making across the lifespan by supporting scientific research, philanthropic giving and public service programs from the international music products industry. For more information about The NAMM Foundation, please visit www.nammfoundation.org.
HEADQUARTERS: Carlsbad, Calif.
President/CEO Joe Lamond, NAMM
Chairman Larry Morton, Hal Leonard Corporation
Vice Chairman Mark Goff, WH Paige & Company, Inc.
Treasurer Robin Walenta, West Music Co.
Secretary Chris Martin, C.F. Martin & Co., Inc.
Executive Director Mary L. Luehrsen, NAMM
- The NAMM Foundation provides support for projects that explore the impact of active music making during various stages of life and on human experience and conditions. The Foundation then promotes this research through the media to educate people of all ages about the proven benefits of playing music.
- The NAMM Foundation supports innovative community-based music learning programs that allow more people the opportunity to experience the proven benefits of active music making. In 2010, the NAMM Foundation provided close to $600,000 in grants to worthy organizations and programs.
Wanna Play Fund:
- Wanna Play? is a public education campaign designed by NAMM in 2006 to raise awareness of the many benefits of music making and inspire people of all ages and talent levels to become active music makers. Initiated in September 2009, the Foundation’s Wanna Play Fund seeks public donations for programs and activities that expand access to music education and participation in music making for people of all ages.
- Donations to the Wanna Play Fund will be used to provide musical instruments to schools that are expanding or re-instating music education programs. Note: Instruments are provided to schools that demonstrate commitment to expanding opportunities for all children to learn music as part of the core curriculum and who employ quality teachers to teach music. The Foundation’s Wanna Play Fund will also provide musical instruments to individuals of any age whose circumstances inhibit their ability to meet their full potential to learn and play music. Note: Instrument donations will be considered for non-professional music makers in community-based music programs and people pursuing professional music careers.
The Museum of Making Music:
- The mission of the Museum of Making Music is to celebrate the rich history and encourage the future of music making. The one-of-a-kind museum invites all NAMM Members to tour the Museum FREE of charge. Located in the NAMM Industry Headquarters in beautiful Carlsbad, Calif., the museum is a great way to experience first-hand the impact of the music products industry over the last 100 years. For more information about the museum or its activities, call 877-551-9976 or visit www.museumofmakingmusic.org.
SupportMusic Coaltion and Music Education Advocacy
The NAMM Foundation seeks to strengthen music education in schools and communities nationwide through its SupportMusic Coalition and website. Music and the arts are vital to every child's education. SupportMusic provides tools and resources to advance community support for music education with the idea that local parents, teachers, students and advocates CAN make a difference! The NAMM Foundation also annually releases a list of the “Best Communities for Music Education” honoring schools that demonstrate a strong commitment to music and arts as part of a well-rounded education for every child.
For more information about the NAMM Foundation and its activities, please contact:
Senior Project Manager
phone: 760.438.8007 ext.129
For media inquiries please contact:
Director of Public Relations and Social Media
5790 Armada Drive
Carlsbad, CA 92008
phone: 760-438-8001 ext. 102