E.T. Richardson Middle School located outside of Philadelphia, PA hosted The NAMM Foundation’s 4th SupportMusic Community Forum on October 15, 2014. Hosted by Director of Market Development of Progressive Music, Mark Despotakis, the John Lennon Educational Tour Bus-produced event brought together a panel of educators, administrators and alumni to discuss the successes and challenges of running a robust music education program.
- Dr. James Capolupo, Springfield School District Superintendent and former music teacher
- Beth Sokolowski, Division Head Music Education, The University of the Arts
- John Kampmeyer, former student, Springfield, SC, father of two current high school students in the music department
- Henry Pearlberg, President, PMEA District 12, instrumental music director at Strath Haven Middle School
- Brittany Baselice, student who went through the district, recently graduated with a degree in music ed
- Margaret Bauer, executive director of PMEA
- Kathleen Boyer, music curriculum coordinator, Springfield SD, instrumental music director, E.T. Richardson MS
The program kicked off with a beautiful performance from the middle school wind ensemble. Immediately following, Katherine Irish from Congressman’s Meehan’s office congratulated the program and sent their congratulations and their continual support of the arts. Superintendent Dr. James Capalupo also welcomed the audience, ending with his message for the morning, “cut the arts never, support the arts always”.
Each Community Forum have had their own view on music education, and for Springfield, their achievement is founded in a symbiotic relationship between Community and Education. Panelist John Kampmeyer, a parent of two students, spoke to this in saying; music education “…develops a sense of community, and therefore develops a sense of pride”. The fruits of music education are often overlooked unless their true value is properly understood by a community and therefore perpetuated.
As the morning’s session drew to a close, Sharon Bryant of The NAMM Foundation presented the community with a collection of donated instruments and gear from NAMM member companies including:
- Audio-Technica System 10 Digital Handheld Wireless System (ATW-1102)
- Epiphone Casino guitar
- Genelec M030 Studio Monitors
- IK Multimedia iLoud
- Mackie ProFX8 Mixer
- Neutrik JLETB Cable
- Yamaha YPG-235 Keyboard & SKD2 Survival Kit
Please join us for upcoming SupportMusic Community Forums throughout the fall and winter!
Enjoy original song and video, “No Shūs by E.T. Richardson Middle School, Springfield, PA